Duxford Spitfire Experience
This wonderful day out takes place at the home of the very first Spitfire squadron, the historic ex-Royal Air Force base Duxford. Not only do you get up close and
personal with the plane but this Duxford Spitfire experience also includes free entry to the Imperial War Museum, Duxford.
Imperial War Museum, Duxford, Cambridgeshire
The experience starts with a meet and greet in the original 1940's control tower where the itinerary for the day will be explained to you. You will then head out to board the de Havilland Dragon Rapide.
This short haul biplane airliner from the 1930's is the perfect companion for your Spitfire flight, as it too had a role in World War 2. Then as you climb above Duxford airfield, the moment you
have been waiting for arrives...
Yes, you will fly with a Duxford Spitfire alongside you for around 15 glorious minutes during your 30 minute Dragon Rapide flight. From your truly privileged position inside the main cabin you
will be able to watch, listen and photograph the Spitfire in elegant flight right next to you. To celebrate such an occasion, there will be a post flight Champagne reception and what's
more, you have the rest of the day to enjoy the exhibits at the IWM Duxford, with complimentary entry offered for all participants. A visit to Duxford is a day out in itself so leave
plenty of time to look around
Who is suitable for this experience?
The maximum weight is 20 stone. Under 16's must be accompanied on the airfield by an adult. You may be in a small group of up to 8 people.
Flights take place on regular weekends and selected weekdays from March to October. All flights are weather dependent but don't worry if your flight is cancelled you can rebook for a
You are welcome to bring family and friends along, however, they will need to enter the museum to view the flight. Your guests will enjoy a 50% reduced entry rate and there's a cafe on site.
- Introduction and safety briefing.
- Fly wing to wing with the Spitfire in a de Havilland Dragon Rapide.
- Champagne toast in the control tower after your flight.
- View the Imperial War Museum, Duxford and it's historic and rare aviation collection.
- Actual flight time in the Dragon Rapide is approx 30 minutes with the Spitfire flying alongside for approx 15 minutes. All quoted flight times are chock to chock.
- Allow three hours for this experience, plus time to view the rest of the museum.