This unforgettable day out, flying alongside the legendary Supermarine Spitfire, takes place at the ex-RAF base of Duxford, now home to the Imperial War Museum. Your Spitfire experience sees the
aircraft fly alongside you and also includes a champagne toast, the opportunity to meet the pilots and a presentation pack.
Imperial War Museum, Duxford, Cambridgeshire
On both experiences you will have a very full itinerary for the day. The aircraft you will see and get up close to is the Spitfire MH343 Mk IXB, she now flies under her code name ZD-B and
you'll hear all about her colourful flying life from when she was built by Vickers in 1943, to her preservation at the Imperial War Museum today. Duxford is a very appropriate home, as in 1938
No. 19 Squadron, who were based here, became the first Royal Air Force squardon to receive the new, Reginald Joseph Mitchell designed, Supermarine Spitfire.
The main highlight of these very full packages has to be the moment you are sitting in the historic Dragon Rapide enjoying your flight over the Cambridgeshire countryside, when suddenly
you hear the unmistakable sound of that glorious Merlin engine - and then she comes into view. A splendid, genuine Second World War Spitfire is flying directly level with you making for a
superb aerial show out of the window for around 15 minutes.
Once you've landed, the experience continues with a Champagne reception and ground tour of the Spitfire and the Dragon Rapide. This is when the pilots of these wonderful flying machines
will be in attendance, so you can ask questions and find out just what it's like to pilot these magnificent vintage planes. You are also welcome to take photos during the tour, giving you a
once in a lifetime chance to get some impressive close ups as well as a professional photograph of you next to the Spitfire that is included. You will then head for a tasty lunch at
Winco Joe's restaurant, after which you are free to explore the IWM Duxford.
If you decide to go for the Air Commodore version of this experience, as well as getting a window seat in the Rapide, you get the added bonus of a
guided tour around the Battle of Britain exhibition, ops room and control tour, as well as an amazing flight in a Tiger Moth, another favourite wartime classic aircraft, along with a
signed logbook and photo too. These Spitfire experiences in Cambridgeshire at the very fine IWM Duxford are truly outstanding days out for those passionate about aviation.
Who is suitable for this experience?
Maximum weight 20 stone.
Under 16s must be accompanied on the airfield by an adult.
You may be in a small group of up to 8 people.
Flights take place on regular weekends and selected weekdays from March to October.
All flights are weather dependent but don't worry if your flight is cancelled you can rebook for a convenient time.
You are welcome to bring friends and family along however they will need to enter the museum to view the flight and they will enjoy a 50% reduced entry rate and there's a cafe on site.
- Introduction and safety briefing.
- Fly wing to wing with the Spitfire in a de Havilland Dragon Rapide.
- Champagne toast in the control tower after your flight.
- Take a close up ground viewing of the Spitfire and Rapide with the opportunity to photograph them.
- Professional photograph of you beside the Spitfire.
- Meet the pilots to find out more about these historic aircraft.
- Lunch in the museum restaurant.
- View the IWM Duxford's historic and rare aviation collection.
- Actual flight time in the Rapide is approx 30 minutes with the Spitfire flying alongside for approx 15 minutes. All quoted flight times are chock to chock.
- Presentation pack about the two aircraft including flight certificates, postcards and information.
- Allow four hours for this experience, plus time to view the rest of the museum.
Air Commodore package includes all of the above plus:
- Guided tour of the Battle of Britain exhibition.
- Guided visit to the operations room and accurate reconstruction of Duxford wartime control centre.
- 20 minute flight in a Tiger Moth and the opportunity to take the controls.
- Signed logbook record of your flight.
- Personal DVD of your entire flight.
- Professional photo of you inside the Tiger Moth kitted with leather flying jacket and goggles.
- Free entry to all public areas of IWM Duxford.