This unforgettable day out, flying alongside the legendary Spitfire, takes place at the ex-RAF base of Duxford, now home to the Imperial War Museum. Your Spitfire experience sees the
aircraft fly alongside you and also includes a champagne toast, the opportunity to meet the pilots and a professional photograph beside the Spitfire.
Imperial War Museum, Duxford, Cambridgeshire
Greet the pilots, meet the aircraft and fly with the Spitfire on these luxury Spitfire flying packages! These aviation experiences are at IWM Duxford in Cambridgeshire - an important location
for any aviation fan, especially those with a passion for Second World War aircraft. On both the Wing Commander and the Air Commodore experiences, you will have a very full itinerary for the day.
The aircraft you will see and get up close to will most probably be Spitfire Mk IA (N3200) that was first delivered to this very airfield in April 1940, when it was placed with No. 19 Squadron at
Spitfire Mk IA (N3200) flew only one sortie, during Operation Dynamo, the evacuation from Dunkirk in 1940. Shot down over Calais, the aircraft languished in the sand at Sangatte,
until it was discovered and recovered in 1986. Gloriously restored, the aircraft is now a magnificent sight flying in the air above its original home.
Of course, flying beside Spitfire Mk IA (N3200) is the main highlight of these superb packages. As you're flying in the Dragon Rapide, you'll suddenly hear the unmistakable sound of that glorious
Rolls-Royce Merlin engine. And then the Spitfire comes into view. This wonderful Second World War aircraft is flying directly level with you. Simply magnificent.
Once you've landed, the Spitfire flying may have ended, but the fun continues with a Champagne reception and ground tour of the Spitfire and the Dragon Rapide. With the pilots in attendance,
you can ask questions and find out what it's like to pilot these incredible vintage aircraft.
You are also welcome to take photos during the tour, giving you a once in a lifetime chance to get some impressive close ups. You will also pose for a professional photograph of yourself next to the
Spitfire, which is included in your package. You will then head for a tasty lunch at the airfield restaurant, after which you are free to explore the IWM Duxford.
If you go for the Air Commodore version of these Spitfire flying experiences, your extras include a flight over Duxford in a lovely vintage Tiger Moth and the added bonus of a guided tour around the
Battle of Britain exhibition. You also get a signed logbook and photo too.
These Spitfire flying days at the IWM Duxford are truly outstanding experiences for those who are passionate about aviation.
Who is suitable for this experience?
Maximum weight 18 stone.
Under 16s must be accompanied on the airfield by an adult.
You may be in a small group of up to 8 people.
Flights take place on one selected weekend each month from April through to October.
All flights are weather dependent but don't worry if your flight is cancelled you can re-book for a convenient time.
You are welcome to bring friends and family along however they will need to enter the museum to view the flight.
Entry to IWM Duxford is compulsory for participants and accompanying guests.
Guests will enjoy half price entry to the site, children under 5 go free.
There's a cafe on site.
Wing Commander package:
- Introduction and safety briefing.
- Fly wing to wing with the Spitfire in a de Havilland Dragon Rapide.
- Champagne toast after your flight.
- Take a close up ground viewing of the Spitfire and Rapide with the opportunity to photograph them.
- Professional photograph of you beside the Spitfire.
- Meet the pilots to find out more about these historic aircraft.
- Lunch voucher for lunch at The Workshop.
- View the IWM Duxford's historic and rare aviation collection.
- Actual flight time in the Rapide is approx 30 minutes with the Spitfire flying alongside for approx 15 minutes. All quoted flight times are chock to chock.
- Allow four hours for this experience, plus time to view the rest of the museum.
Air Commodore package includes all of the above plus:
- Private guided tour of the Battle of Britain exhibition.
- 20 minute flight in a Tiger Moth and the opportunity to take the controls.
- Loan of leather helmet, jacket and goggles for the flight.
- Signed logbook style record of your flight.
- Personal DVD of your Tiger Moth flight.
- Professional photo of you inside the Tiger Moth.
- Free entry to all public areas of IWM Duxford.