The single engined biplane Tutor would be the Royal Air Force's standard elementary trainer during the mid 1930s. Small numbers would be used during the Second World War, but by 1946 its service in
the RAF ended. Additionally the Avro Tutor would be built in small numbers for civil aviation use.
By the end of the 1920s the Avro 504 had been training pilots of the Royal Air Force for over 15 years and it was now time to look for its successor. This would be in the shape of another
Avro aircraft, the Tutor, which had been designed by Roy Chadwick.
Powered by the 155-hp Armstrong Siddeley Mongoose IIIA engine the prototype made its first flight during September 1929. Three months later and the Tutor prototype would undergo comparative
trials at the Aircraft and Armament Experimental Establishment, Martlesham Heath. The following year on the 28th June 1930 at the RAF Display, Hendon the public got their first look at the Avro
After undergoing trials, which saw the Tutor pitted against other aircraft, the Royal Air Force made the decision to order 21 aircraft during 1930. Built to Specification 3/30 the early Tutors
would be powered by the same Mongoose IIIA engine as the prototype, with most of the aircraft built after the initial 21 powered by the 240-hp Armstrong Siddeley Lynx IV engine. Another order
followed from the RAF for 394 aircraft and these would be built to a different specification as the first 21, 18/31.
The Avro Tutor had a top speed of 122 mph, range of 250 miles, service ceiling of 16,200 ft and was unarmed and would start to enter Royal Air Force service during October 1931 with
No. 3 Flying Training School, RAF Spitalgate. 1933 would see the Central Flying School receive their deliveries of the aircraft, becoming the RAF's standard elementary trainer.
With the introduction into service of the Miles Magister during October 1937 this was to take over the role as the standard elementary trainer in the Royal Air Force. Some Tutors would still be in
service at the outbreak of the Second World War (1939 – 1945), but by 1944 the Tutor's service in the RAF was all but over with the last Avro Tutor struck off charge on the 4th September 1946.
Additionally a naval version of the Tutor fitted with twin floats was built to Specification 26/34 and was called the Avro Sea Tutor. Between 1934 and 1936 fourteen Sea Tutors were delivered to
either the Seaplane Training School, RAF Calshot or to Felixstowe to undergo waterborne tests. By April 1938 the last Sea Tutors were removed from service.
To target the export market during 1930 Avro developed the Prefect, based on the Tutor, with 198 being brought by a number of air forces overseas including seven for the Royal Air Force for air
When production of the Tutor ended in May 1936 795 examples had been built, including civil versions, with other users of the type including the Royal Canadian Air Force.