The Skua was the Fleet Air Arm's first monoplane aircraft and dive-bomber, but was obsolete at the outbreak of the Second World War. Despite this the Blackburn Skua would enjoy a
little success, including sinking the German cruiser Konigsberg.
Responding to the release of Air Ministry specification O.27/34 which requested designs for a naval dive-bomber, Blackburn along with Avro, Boulton Paul, Hawker and Vickers all submitted
designs, however it would be Blackburn's Skua design which would see service and two prototypes were ordered during April 1935. The Skua design was revolutionary for the Fleet Air Arm for
as well as being the country's first naval dive-bomber, it would also be the first carrier aircraft to be of monoplane design, with flaps and retractable landing gear proving radically
different to the bi-planes used by the Fleet Air Arm at the time, such as the Fairey Swordfish, however the Swordfish would remain in service long after the Blackburn Skua had been
Flying for the first time on the 9th February 1937 and as powered by an 840-hp Bristol Mercury IX engine, the Skua would also make an appearance at the Royal Air Force display at Hendon
on the 26th June 1937 and then on the 28th June at Hatfield at the Society of British Aerospace Companies (SBAC) display before being sent to the Aircraft and Armament Experimental Establishment at Martlesham Heath, early reports
from the A&AEE gave promising reports of the Skua's handling and after gunnery trials the aircraft was sent to Gosport for ditching trials.
As with other aircraft of the time orders for the aircraft had been placed before the prototype had even flown and 190 Blackburn Skuas were ordered and to help speed up the production
process some of the work was sub-contracted and due to the Bristol Blenheim receiving priority on the Mercury engine the Skua would instead be powered by the 890-hp Bristol Perseus XII and
thus became Mk IIs. The 28th August 1938 saw the first production Skua fly at Brough and had only a few minor changes to its design, and the batch of 190 aircraft were delivered within 16
months from October 1938 till March 1940, despite this the aircraft was still a year behind schedule.
No. 800 Naval Air Squadron received their Blackburn Skuas in October 1938 whilst No. 803 Naval Air Squadron received theirs in December 1938 where they would replace
Hawker Nimrods and Hawker Ospreys serving aboard HMS Ark Royal.
It was No. 803 who scored the Fleet Air Arm's first success during the Second World War whilst operating from HMS Ark Royal when on the 26th September 1939 just off Heligoland they shot down a Dornier Do 18.
They would be followed by No. 801 Squadron aboard HMS Furious and No. 806 Squadron who were at the time based at Eastleigh before war broke out.
When the Skua entered service it was already obsolete as a fighter but it showed its potential in the dive-bombing role when 16 Blackburn Skua's from 800 and 803 Squadron flying from RNAS
Hatston, Orkney Islands attacked and sank the German cruiser Konigsberg on the 10th April 1940 at Bergen harbour. Although the mission saw the loss of only one Skua another mission 11 days
later on Narvik saw both 800 and 803 Squadron lose most of their aircraft.
Blackburn Skua's of 801 Squadron based at Detling flew a number of sorties to support the evacuation of Allied troops from France alongside the Blackburn Roc, it had been intended for
the Skua to operate alongside the Roc which was similar to the Boulton Paul Defiant in having a turret as its only armament. However the Roc like the Skua was obsolete at the
time of entering service. Whilst the Skua could compete with Axis bombers it didn't stand a chance against the modern day fighters like the Messerschmitt Bf 109 and as a result was removed
from operational service in 1941. The squadrons that operated Skua's were given newer aircraft with the Fairey Fulmar equipping 800 and 806 Squadrons while the Hawker Sea Hurricane
equipped 801 and 803 Squadrons.
With a total production of 192 the Blackburn Skua would end its service as a target tug or used for general training duties.